Friday 2 January 2015

Coming in out of the wind





I don't know about you but often when I wake up in the morning all the busy thoughts of the day come rushing into my head. Immediately I'm thinking about what I have to achieve or do before I get to bed that night. Rushing headlong into the day isn't necessarily the best move.

C S Lewis in 'Mere Christianity' describes an alternative approach:-

"The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning.

All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.

And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind."

I love that phrase 'coming in out of the wind'. If we feel that we are being buffeted about day by day we too can come in out of the wind.

To pause, to stop, to switch off. 

To take time to just be. 

To be still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment